DC & MD Schools
Environmental science programs with ANS are designed to meet NGSS and Curriculum 2.0 Standards as well as Maryland Green School certification components. Programs highlight human impacts, ecological systems, and watersheds through hands-on activities both in the classroom and at our beautiful 40-acre Woodend Sanctuary just inside the beltway in Chevy Chase, MD.
Our award-winning GreenKids and program is free to MCPS schools interested in becoming certified Maryland Green Schools. See GreenKids tab above for more information. Space in this programs is limited as funding allows.
Questions? Contact Serenella.Linares@anshome.org
Environmental science programs with ANS are designed to meet NGSS and Virginia Standards of Learning as well as Virginia Naturally Green School certification components. We have many programs that support project-based learning (PBL) and help meet One to the World Initiatives. Lessons highlight human impacts, ecological systems, and watersheds through hands-on activities both in the classroom and at our beautiful 68-acre Rust Sanctuary in Leesburg.
We also offer free programs for LCPS schools. Our award-winning GreenKids program is free to LCPS schools interested in becoming certified Virginia Naturally Green Schools, and our Rust Watershed Adventures program is free for schools interested in conducting watershed-based PBL projects. See GreenKids tab above for more information. Space in these programs is limited as funding allows.
Questions? Contact Susanne.Ortmann@anshome.org
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Free for MCPS and LCPS Schools
GreenKids is a grant-funded educational outreach program of the Audubon Naturalist Society that provides participating public schools with two years of free resources and field experiences to foster environmental literacy while meeting established curriculum goals. GreenKids operates in formal partnerships with both Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) in Maryland and Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) in Virginia, serving more than 4,500 students each year. In addition to these students, the GreenKids school garden program, Salad Science, also serves students in the District of Columbia and in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Each year of the two-year partnership, GreenKids schools receive:
- Environmental education lessons, delivered by GreenKids educators, that support and enhance state curriculum standards;
- Green school teacher training session for the entire staff;
- Help with sustainable practices such as energy conservation and recycling programs;
- $500 in lead teacher stipends;
- $500 field trip subsidy;
- $500 infrastructure fund for projects such as outdoor classrooms and gardens;
- Assistance in attracting community partners to support environmental activities;
- Guidance in applying for Maryland Green School Certification or a Virginia Naturally Award.
GreenKids has operated in partnership with MCPS since 2005 and LCPS since 2009.
GreenKids has partnered with both MCPS and LCPS to deliver systemic watershed education training for teachers across the school districts since 2012.
GreenKids is a regional leader in facilitating school gardens. We have created two websites in partnership with MCPS: Creating Your School Garden and Growing Edible Plants in Containers . See our Salad Science video for more information.
GreenKids awards include
- 2010 Distinguished Service to Public Education Award from the Montgomery County Board of Education
- 2012 Green Award from Bethesda Magazine
- 2016 Melanie Teems award from the Chesapeake Bay Trust
GreenKids is generously supported by Howard Hughes Medical Institute.