You're invited to join us for a fun and informative kick-off orientation for the 2019 Bloomin' Birdathon!
Birdathon Kick-off Event
April 8 • 6:30-8 pm
8940 Jones Mill Rd, Chevy Chase, MD
Join us for a short “how-to” birding walk around Woodend Sanctuary
in preparation for the 39th Bloomin' Birdathon.
The Birdathon is a major fundraiser that supports the Audubon Naturalist Society’s education and advocacy/conservation programs. Individuals or teams count as many species of birds as they can in a 24-hour period and get sponsors to pledge a set amount of money per species seen or a flat amount for their efforts. You'll find full details here.
The Birdathon Kick-Off Event is a great opportunity for you to interact with other birders and pick up valuable insights and tips for having a fun and successful experience during this year's Birdathon.
- Informative hand-outs on places to see birds in the DMV along with other resources to help make your day of birding successful.
- Birding 101—basics of bird identification for “newbies” and a refresher for Bird Nerds.
- Tips on using binoculars, with a chance to try some out in the field at Woodend.
- For those shy about asking for donations, we will provide lots of information and resources on asking for sponsorships, including sample letters and information about a peer-to-peer online fundraising application that will be linked to the ANS website.
- Information about other support available to Birdathoners, such as guided walks and experienced Birdathon mentors.
- Refreshments and a chance to meet your fellow birders.